Owl River Environmental Services Ltd. is a small environmental company based out of Lac la Biche, Alberta. Lac la Biche County has over 100 lakes in the region and multiple Provincial Parks including Alberta’s only island park. As Owl River’s team continues to grow, we know that great experiences start with the right people. We are looking to expand our team with an enthusiastic and technically focused Environmental Summer Student. This position presents an exceptional opportunity for hands‐on field experience with reclamation and remediation in Northern Alberta.
- Organize and complete field work as directed by the Project Manager.
- Assist with the completion of field vegetation and soils assessments on cultivated, forested, and peatland sites in north/northeastern Alberta.
- Work a versatile schedule, camp stays will be required for remote worksites. Helicopter work maybe required for remote worksites.
- Vegetation management as required on sites.
- Assist with equipment and shop maintenance duties.
- Familiarity in completing both forested and peatland Detailed Site Assessments (field portion) on abandoned oil and gas facilities.
- Proficient knowledge of computers, Word and Excel computer programs.
- Knowledge of northeastern Alberta cultivated and forested vegetation and soils (Canadian System of Soil Classification).
- Knowledge of northeastern Alberta peatlands.
- Understanding of current reclamation/remediation criteria.
- ATV/UTV/Argo operation experience.
- Vegetation management: valid herbicide applicator or assistant license.
- Ability to assist in the organization of field work.
- Currently enrolled in a degree or diploma program from a recognized institution in environmental science or a related study.
- A positive attitude, and full commitment to your safety and the safety of those around you.
- Ability to work and organize assigned projects both independently and as part of a team.
- Valid drivers licence with a clean driving record.
- Safety Certificates: First Aid, GDII, H2S, OSSA, CSTS, PCST, WHMIS, Bear Aware, Authorized Pesticide Assistant, ATV/UTV.
- Plant identification/soils profile assessment skills – cultivated, forested, peatland ecosites.
This job will be based out of Lac La Biche, Alberta; for out of town interviewees accommodations can be discussed at time of interview.
Apply for the job:
Thank you to all who apply, but only preferred applicants will be contacted. Please submit a .pdf of your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. For more information about Owl River Environmental Services Ltd., please visit out website at owlriverenv.com.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.