Owl River Environmental Services Ltd. is a small environmental company based out of Lac la Biche, Alberta. Lac la Biche County has over 100 lakes in the region and multiple Provincial Parks including Alberta’s only island park. As Owl River’s team continues to grow, we know that great experiences start with the right people. We are looking to expand our team with an enthusiastic and technically focused Intermediate Environmental Scientist. This position presents an exceptional opportunity for hands‐on field experience with reclamation and remediation in Northern Alberta. Owl River is currently seeking an Intermediate Environmental Scientist for a seasonal field position with the possibility of permanent employment, beginning May 2020.
- Organize and complete field work as directed by the Project Manager.
- Complete field vegetation and soils assessments on cultivated, forested, and peatland sites in north / northeastern Alberta.
- Work a versatile schedule; camp stays will be required for remote worksites.
- Helicopter work maybe required for remote worksites.
- Vegetation management as required on sites.
- Desktop and field experience in completing both forested and peatland Detailed Site Assessments on abandoned oil and gas facilities.
- Proficient knowledge of computers, Word and Excel computer programs.
- Knowledge of northeastern Alberta cultivated and forested vegetation and soils (Canadian System of Soil Classification).
- Knowledge of northeastern Alberta peatlands.
- Thorough understanding of current reclamation/remediation criteria.
- Ability to interpret, compile and report field data.
- ATV/UTV/Argo operation experience.
- Vegetation management: valid herbicide applicator or assistant license.
- Experience supervising final reclamation of oil and gas facilities.
- Ability to multitask, plan and coordinate for the completion of field work and associated office work.
- A degree or a diploma from a recognized institution in environmental science or a related study.
- Experience with cultivated lands would be considered an asset.
- A positive attitude, and full commitment to your safety and the safety of those around you.
- Ability to work and organize projects both independently and as part of a team.
- Valid drivers licence with a clean driving record.
- Safety Certificates: First Aid, GDII, H2S, OSSA, CSTS, PCST, WHMIS, Bear Aware, Authorized Pesticide Assistant, ATV/UTV.
- Plant identification/soils profile assessment skills – cultivated, forested, peatland ecosites.
- Pesticide Applicators License would be considered an asset.
This job will be based out of Lac La Biche, Alberta; for out of town interviewees accommodations can be discussed at time of interview.
Apply for the job:
Thank you to all who apply, but only preferred applicants will be contacted. Please submit a .pdf of your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about Owl River Environmental Services Ltd., please visit out website at owlriverenv.com. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.